Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Does being a clinical instructor for physical therapy students' count towards CC units?
Physical therapists or physical therapist assistants are eligible for one (1) unit for every one hundred sixty-five (165) hours of clinical instruction with a maximum of five (5) units per reporting period. A written certification from the PT/PTA school is required for proof of credit.

Do clinical certifications count towards CC units?
The ND Board of PT allows up to 15 CC units for taking and passing a Clinical Certification Program that has been approved by the Board.

Can physical therapists perform needle electromyography (EMG) and/or nerve conduction studies (NCS)?
The ND Board of PT will allow physical therapists to perform EMG and NCS. However, these can only be performed by physical therapists that are board certified as Electrophysiologic Clinical Specialist (ECS) by the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties.

Is dry needling allowed in the state of North Dakota?
Yes, the North Dakota State Board of Physical Therapy has stated that dry needling is within the scope of physical therapy practice.

Do I need a special certification to perform dry needling?
The State Board of Physical Therapy does not require certification on record. However, dry needling is not considered an entry-level skill. Therefore, physical therapists who practice dry needling within the state must have completed continuing competence/education content and demonstrate competence in performing this skill. Continuing competence/education content for dry needling should include substantive coursework and supervised practical applications.

What types of degree designation initials can a physical therapist use?
A physical therapist shall use the letters "PT" in connection with the physical therapist's name or place of business to denote licensure. Other letter designations such as "RPT", "LPT", or academic and professional degrees should not be substituted for the regulatory designation of "PT". "PTA" is the preferred regulatory designation of a physical therapist assistant. The designations "SPT" and "SPTA" should be used for physical therapist students and physical therapist assistant students, respectively, up to the time of graduation. In order to promote consistent communication of the presentation of credentials and letter designations, the preferred order of credentials should be:

  1. PT/PTA.
  2. Highest earned physical therapy-related degree.
  3. Other earned academic degrees.
  4. Specialist certification credentials in alphabetical order (specific to the American board of physical therapy specialties).
  5. Other Credentials External to APTA.
  6. Other Certification or Professional Honors (eg, FAPTA).

Page Updated: 10/18/2022 11:02:28 AM